Undefeated heading into a Tuesday dual with rival Cody, members of the Powell High School girls’ swim team continued their impressive season by qualifying a state-leading 15th athlete for the …
Undefeated heading into a Tuesday dual with rival Cody, members of the Powell High School girls’ swim team continued their impressive season by qualifying a state-leading 15th athlete for the state meet.
Despite missing seven athletes, including four state qualifiers, the Panthers came away with their sixth straight victory, defeating Cody 108-78. The team put up impressive times after a week away from competition due to scheduling problems with Worland.
Colette Sanders swam her way into qualification by setting a personal best time for the season by five seconds in the 100 breaststroke, with a time of 1:22.29 — just 0.21 seconds below the Class 3A qualifying mark for the state meet.
“This reflects her recent hard work in many practice swims,” Panthers head coach Bob Smartt said.
Smartt said that with the 15th qualifier, the team currently has more qualified state athletes than Lander, which has nine, defending state champions Green River (eight) and Douglas (seven).
“Job one for the coaching staff is to enable as many state qualifiers as possible,” Smartt said. “We have several more potential qualifiers who can achieve state with consistent, focused training.”
Event winners for the Panthers included: Emma Mitchell in the 200 IM, with a time of 2:35.52; Grace Sapp in the 50 free in 27.52; Kami Jensen with a score of 185.25 in six dives; Kik Hayano in the 100 fly in 1:10.77 and Gabby Paterson in the 100 breaststroke, with a time of 1:21.63.
Smartt said it was the first time Mitchell swam the 200 IM, and she hit the qualifying mark for state on her first try.
In addition to diving, Jensen helped swim a strong leg for the B 200 free relay.
Smartt said that Hayano earned Iron Woman status for the Panthers, as she won the 100 fly in a personal best, placed third in the 500 free and did not rest before anchoring the 200 free relay in 28.48.
Sapp entered into the meet with only one state-qualifying time, but she added the 50 free (with a personal best by 0.6 seconds) and the 100 free (where she placing third in 1:02.03 — a personal best by two seconds).
The Panthers’ depth was once again evident as they placed first, second, third and fifth in the 100 breaststroke. Paterson was joined by Paige Thomas, Sanders and Abigail Casey.
Overall, the Panthers had 10 personal bests, which included Taycee Walker in diving. She scored a 37.5 on her final dive to earn her best six-dive score of the season, 171.3. Paige Thomas swam her best time in the 200 IM with a time of 2:38.02, which is under the state qualifying mark.
The week is not over for the Panthers as they head to the Worland Invite on Saturday to compete starting at 10 a.m.
The meet will include all 3A East conference teams, and Smartt said that the team plans to swim best events for every swimmer.
Powell 108, Cody 78
200 medley relay
1. Grace Sapp, Emma Mitchell, Paige Thomas and Lily Halter 2:03.17, 3. Kylie Hahl, Colette Sanders, Aubree Fisher and Sarah Hampton 2:23.95.
2. Croix Tryon 2:32.74, 4. Dakota Hansen 2:33.15, 7. Abigail Casey 2:53.16, 8. Sarah Miller 3:52.81.
1. Emma Mitchell 2:35.52*, 2. Paige Thomas 2:38.02*, 5. Brinly Casey 3:14.95.
1. Grace Sapp 27.52*, 6. Kami Jensen 33.56, 7. Sarah Hampton 35.56.
1-meter diving (six dives)
1. Kami Jensen 185.25*, 2. Taycee Walker 171.35*, 5. Yessenia Teague 97.10
1. Kiyoko Hayano 1:10.77*, 3. Croix Tryon 1:17.19, 4. Lily Halter 1:18.55
2. Gabby Paterson 1:01.36*, 3. Grace Sapp 1:02.03*, 4. Emma Mitchell 1:02.25*, 6. Aubree Fisher 1:11.60
3. Kiyoko Hayano 6:35.65, 4. Dakota Hansen 6:53.77, 6. Charlee MacPeek 8:32.45
200 free relay
1. Croix Tryon, Gabby Paterson, Emma Mitchell and Kiyoko Hayano 1:54.12, 3. Brinly Casey, Taycee Walker, Kami Jensen and Dakota Hansen 2:11.57.
2. Kylie Kahl 1:13.05, 3. Azurdey Burton 1:17.83, 4. Sarah Hampton 1:21.41, 5. Aubree Fisher 1:22.23, 7. Rebekah Hendershot 1:46.30, 9. Sarah Miller 2:07.60.
1. Gabby Paterson 1:21.63*, 2. Paige Thomas 1:22.11*, 3. Colette Sanders 1:22.29*, 5. Abigail Casey 1:28.38
400 free relay
2. Dakota Hansen, Kiyoko Hayano, Gabby Paterson and Paige Thomas 4:21.49, 3. Croix Tryon, Azurdey Burton, Grace Sapp and Aubree Fisher 4:39.50, 5. Brinley Casey, Sarah Hampton, Yessenia Teague and Kylie Kahl 5:50.29, 6. Sarah Miller, Rebekah Hendershot, Charlee MacPeek and Abigail Casey 7:04.44
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here